Loading map data, please wait.
On the river bank, a short distance west of this stone, was the landing place of HARRIS' FERRY the most historic crossing place on the Susquehanna. A great part of the early migration into western Pennsylvania and the Ohio Valley passed this way. The ferry-right was first granted to John Harris, father of the founder of Harrisburg, in December, 1733. For over half a century the site of Harrisburg was known as Harris' Ferry.
opposite 219 S Front St. (John Harris Mansion), in Riverfront Park, Harrisburg