Home

Close WindowReference Map

Loading map data, please wait.
Loading

Scranton Iron Furnaces

Scranton Iron Furnaces

The industrial site that rolled the rails for the nation's railroads. Four massive stone stacks are the remains of the blast furnaces of the Lackawanna Iron and Coal Company, built between 1848 and 1857. The furnaces ranked as the second-largest iron producer in the U.S. by the l880s. Exhibits include on-site interpretive signage. These industrial remains are located in downtown Scranton within a short car or trolley ride from Steamtown National Historic Site and Electric City Trolley Museum. Visitor center open seasonally and grounds open daily. Operated in partnership with the Anthracite Heritage Museum and Iron Furnaces Associates.

Phone

570-963-4804

Hours of Operation

Memorial Day - Labor Day:

MON: dawn until dusk *
TUE: dawn until dusk *
WED: dawn until dusk *
THU: dawn until dusk *
FRI: dawn until dusk *
SAT: noon - 4:00 pm #
SUN: noon - 4:00 pm #

* On-street parking only
# Free on-site parking is available for self-guided visits

Admission Details

For information on guided tours, call Anthracite Heritage Museum: 570-963-4804

Historical Markers Nearby

Public Sector Unionism

0.1 miles|

Dauphin

Efforts to organize public workers in PA resulted in Acts 111 in 1968 and 195 in 1970. Tens of thousands of public employees joined...

Pennsylvania State Archives

0.1 miles|

Dauphin

Created in 1903 as the Division of Public Records in the State Library, the State Archives safeguards and provides public access to records of...

Grace Methodist Church

0.1 miles|

Dauphin

After the state capitol was destroyed by fire on February 2, 1897, this church building became the temporary quarters of the state legislature while...

Old Brick Capitol

0.1 miles|

Dauphin

The first State Capitol on this site was designed and built by Stephen Hills, 1819-1821. It was first occupied by the Legislature on January...

State Capitol

0.1 miles|

Dauphin

This building, which replaced the old brick capitol, was designed by Joseph M. Huston, and erected, 1902-1906. It was dedicated on October 4, 1906,...